Windows 8 is not only making PC easier to use with it’s more social and interactive features, but it is also one of the most safe and secure operating system to use. It won’t be an exaggeration if I call it as one of the safest computer operating systems ever made. It is a very renowned fact that Microsoft is always concerned about the safety and security regimes in its operating system, may it be Windows 8 or the earlier versions. The Operating Systems from Microsoft are safe to use both online as well as offline.
Microsoft keeps introducing new and latest features of safety in their operating systems, and Family Safety feature in Windows 8 is a perfect example to that. With the feature of Family Safety you can monitor the standard user accounts on your computer. This feature gives you the detailed reports of all the activities done by various users on your computer system. In a nutshell, this safety feature in Windows 8 provides you more control over your system.
Being a mommy of two teenage sons, I have to be careful and attentive every time they use my laptop. I am using a Windows 8 operating system in my Sony Vaio laptop and thankfully there are a few settings in Windows 8 which help me putting the family safety filter in my laptop.
I just activated this feature of Family Safety in my laptop while creating my kid’s account here, and now I get the weekly reports of all the activities done by my son’s on my PC. Well, if you haven’t done it already, you can turn the Family Safety feature ON now for the entire list of users on your system.
Don’t worry this feature requires just a simple click on a check box and nothing else. Here is a tutorial with detailed screenshots on ‘how to activate the Family Safety option’ in your Windows 8 computer system and keep an eye on every user using your PC, even if the account is password protected.
How to setup Family Safety in Windows 8
- If you haven’t yet created the user account for your child, you can turn the Family Safety feature ON while creating the account.
- Creating an account is Windows 8 is pretty simple. Just go to the Control Panel and click on ‘User Accounts’.
- Set up a new account using your child’s email id. You can use any of his/her email ID to create the local account.
- Just follow the instructions and you are set with a new account for your child. In the last step of creating the account, you will get a check box saying ‘Is this a child’s account? Turn on Family Safety to get reports of their PC use’.
- Just click the check box and you can now get the activity report of your child. Furthermore, you can also set the time limits, web filtering, games restrictions and app restrictions for your child.
Family Safety User Settings
I am happy after activating the Family Safety in Windows 8 as I can always check the activity report of how my son actually uses my computer. Please leave your comment about the efficacy and usefulness of this feature.
Pin Your Favorite Websites to Windows 8 Start Screen active window products
Windows 8 start screen has numerous tiles and to be very honest, I never use most them. I am sure you there must be some tiles in your system too, which you never use. Although you can easily delete or say unpin the tiles from the “Start screen” or “Uninstall” them, but then again why to waste that empty space on the Start Screen. Let me tell you that you can pin-up your favorite websites and much more on your Windows 8 Start Screen, this allow you quick and easy access.
You can pin Facebook, Twitter etc. to get an easy access. Though you can pin any number of websites at the start screen of your Windows PC, here we’ll take www.techtipsgeek.com as an example.
Just follow the easy steps mentioned below and pin your favorite website on Windows 8 Start Screen.
How to Pin Your Favorite Websites to Windows 8 Start Screen using Internet Explorer
1. Open the desired website in the Internet Explorer. As I said before, I will take techtipsgeek.com here as an example as this is one of the numerous website which I visit daily.
2. On the top right corner of your browser, you can see three options – Home, Favorites and Tools. Click on ‘Tools’ and you will get a drop-down.
3. Click on ‘Add site to start screen’ and you will get a pop up asking for the URL you want to pin on your start screen.
4. You are done with the steps and now you can see your favorite website on your Windows 8 Start screen.
5. You can also see all your pinned websites from your browser itself.
Well, I know not many of you use Internet Explorer as their default browser and don’t worry you can also pin your website on Windows 8 Start screen for Google Chrome, which is one of the most commonly used web browsers. Below are a few steps to pin websites on your Start Screen for Google Chrome.
How to Pin Websites to Windows 8 Start Screen In using Google Chrome
1. Go to the website you want to pin in the start screen from Google Chrome browser.
2. Now click on the ‘Settings’ on the top-right corner.
3. Hover over the ‘Bookmarks’ option and click on ‘Pin the page to start screen’
4. You will get a new pop up asking for the name of the website you want to pin. Use some short name and click on ‘Pin to Start’.
5. You are done with it. You can now see and access your favorite website from your Windows 8 Start screen. Now I have my favorite website techtipsgeek.com for both Chrome as well as IE browser.
If you do not see the ‘pin this page to start screen’ by hovering over the Bookmarks tab, you might be running your browser in Desktop mode. To get this option you first need to click ‘Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode’.
Wasn’t that simple ! Pinning the websites in the Windows 8 Start Screen seems more comfortable than creating a bookmark. You can easily access your websites from the Start Screen and no need to look over the long ‘bookmarks list’ any more.
Stop Email Notifications From All Social Networking Sites active window products
With 2012, there are endless ways to stay connected with friends and followers, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and so many social networks to follow and get connected to. But if all these social networks are not managed properly, there might be chances that you may end up your email accounts all flooded up with social networks notifications. And who can forget the huge rush of email notifications in our inboxes. That’s pretty annoying. Isn’t it? Better, you should figure out how to stop email notifications from various social networking sites.
Even if a single share or like to your Facebook status, they never miss there chances to inform you on your corresponding email ID. It’s not only Facebook, same goes for other social networking websites too. Twitter, Digg tops the list when it comes to email notifications on every single activity on your social networking account.
How to Stop Email Notifications
There are ways to stop Email notifications from every social network:
- Disable Notifications in Google Plus.
- Disable Facebook Group Email Notifications.
But going through each social network and working on it’s notifications settings is kind of time-consuming task. As said earlier, now it’s not just one or two social networks to follow. A huge list, a user would have to go through, if she (he) chooses to stop email notifications manually. Now I don’t think you have that much time to deal with these things.
Fortunately, we do have a web service Notification Control. Using which, users can stop email notifications from couple of social networks just spending a minute at each. You can easily clear out all the notifications mails you receive from the social networks.
How does the Notification Control Work
Notification Control is a simple to use web service which contains the direct hyperlink to all the social networks notifications web page. Once you are logged in one of them, can use visit the notification setting web page by a single click and clear out the mess you received in the form of unwanted emails from these social networks.
So visit Notification Control. It includes the link of most of the social networks including Twitter, Facebook, Google, Tumblr, YouTube, Foursquare, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Pinterest and many more. And if, you would like to add your favorite too, then mail the developer for addition request.
So, visit it and clear out the email notifications from the social networks in a flash. It is inspired by one of the similar web service called Mypersmissions.Com. MyPermissions also works the same way, but it is used to clean out the unwanted social networking apps we tend to add in our social network accounts.
Clean out unwanted Apps from Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus
Visit it and you’ll get to know what it meant for. MyPermissions is nothing but browser plugin which keeps a strict eye on apps that are using your social network information.
Visit MyPermissionsand click the Download button. It will automatically detect your browser and serve the suitable plugin. For instance, if you are using Firefox, it will automatically download the MyPermissions’ Firefox add-on. Similarly, if you are using Google Chrome, it will download the corresponding Chrome extension.
Once installed it in your browser you can decide grant or revoke the permission of any application that is associated with your social network profile.
Both the services NotificationControl and Mypersmissions are worth using and does not demands much of your time. But saves you from loads of manual settings and permissions to grant, thus enhancing your social network security.
What do you think about these two websites, drop your views in comments.